Looking for a way to get your pup’s undivided attention? Say hello to liver cake – the canine delicacy that is the perfect treat to stop them in their tracks!
Our simple homemade liver cake recipe will have your dog doing flips for these mouthwatering recall treats.
Plus, we’ve got some handy tips on how you can use them to ace your training sessions. Let the baking (and training) begin!
Why is Liver Cake the Best Recall Treat?
Liver is a nutritional powerhouse chock-full of top-notch proteins and crammed with all the vitamins and minerals your dog needs.
Dogs know this, and that’s why they go absolutely bonkers at the slightest whiff of it.
Bake it into a cake and, bam – you’ve just crafted a powerful, tasty treat that’ll make your dog halt mid-zoomie!
And the best part? This recipe is homemade, all-natural, budget-friendly, and oh-so-easy to whip up!
How to use Liver Cake for Recall Training
Once your liver cake masterpiece is complete, cut it into bite-sized chunks and stash it in the freezer. This way, you’ll have a stockpile of off-leash training treats for months on end.
- Before a walk, grab a few pieces from the freezer and place in a plastic bag. They’ll naturally defrost in your pocket within 15 minutes. Tease your dog’s senses by letting them catch a whiff of the delicious treats you have.
Pro Tip: Keep the liver cake in a yellow or blue bag. Your dog can spot these colors from afar, so it’ll be easy to get their attention with a quick wave of the bag.
- Before setting your dog off-leash, gift them a piece of liver cake. Make sure they see you stashing the rest in your pocket.
- When you first start training with liver cake, give them a small piece every time you have success with recall.
- Restrict the use of liver cake exclusively for walks. This way, your pooch will link these premium treats with exemplary off-leash behavior. Pretty smart, huh?
Heads Up: Don’t forget, your pup isn’t the only one with a nose for tasty treats! Keep an eye out for other dogs who might be on the hunt for your liver cake. Trust us, you don’t want to find yourself in the middle of a canine flash mob all eager for a bite!
Note: Liver cake should only be used as a special, high-value treat. Reward your dog with 4-5 pieces at the most during a walk. Only recommended for dogs and puppies over the age of six months old.
5 Tips for Making Liver Cake
1. Don’t go heavy on the flour. We prefer to keep the cake rich in meat for that irresistible aroma that drives our dogs wild!
2. No need to aim for a crispy crust. Depending on your oven’s mood, take the cake out just as it starts to golden for a soft, moist center.
3. Be an early bird baker. Baking in the morning allows plenty of time for the cake to cool and your house to recover from the powerful scent!
4. Remember to prep the baking tray. Due to the lack of fat in liver cake, if you forget to line the tray with butter or greaseproof paper you’ll find it almost impossible to get it out in one piece!
5. Guard the goods! You’ll be very well aware of this one, but leave it unattended at your own risk! If there’s anything a dog is willing to get in trouble over, liver cake is most definitely it!
- 450g (1lb) Lamb Liver
- 225g (0.5lb) Self-Raising Wholemeal Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 100ml (3.5 oz) Milk
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk together
- Blend the liver in a food processor
- Add liver to the egg mixture
- Blend in the flour
- Add milk slowly until a runny paste is consistently achieved
- Empty the contents into a greased baking tray at least 2 inches (5cm) deep
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C / 350°F (160 fan) for 30-40 minutes
- Allow to cool on a rack before cutting into pieces
- They’ll be good for three months in the freezer
PRO TIP: Divide the liver cake pieces into multiple portions and stash them in separate freezer bags. The ones that stay sealed will maintain their freshness for a longer time.
Lamb liver is the best type to use for a Liver Cake Recipe
Add milk until a runny consistency is achieved. Don’t worry about under-cooking the liver cake – soft and moist is far better than bone dry!
Cut into small pieces once it has completely cooled down, and don’t forget to guard the goods whilst you wait!
Once very patient little beagle bum!
Our Favorite Liver Cake Recipe for Dogs
Liver cake is the superstar of dog treats, and it’s a secret weapon for maintaining control when your fur babies are off-leash.
It’s universally loved by all breeds, and it’s the golden ticket to successful recall training!
So, if you’re dreaming of a perfectly behaved pup that comes bounding back at your call, you’ve got to try this simple, homemade liver cake recipe for dogs!